Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Day 8 - Colossal Systems Failure

May 6, 2014

This has been a colossal systems failure.  I never heard from the doctors office until later in the day when his PA called.  That was only after the physical therapist (who supposed to come on Saturday and just came today - Tuesday) called to inform them that I was in distress.  Before that happened had I left messages at the surgeon's office and the hospital where I was told to call if there were any problems.  After being connected to the wrong department numerous times and beng disconnected multiple times I left a message for the surgeon on call for my doctor I finally got a call back. The conversations with the PA and the covering surgeon gave me direction and reassurance.   All of this could have taken place much earlier and would have avoided my distress and the tarnishment of reputations.

Long story short, this has been a failure to communicate, respond, or be accountable for assurances made to provide follow-up, support and care.  My call to the visiting nurse and PT did respond immediately to my concerns and assured me that this was not the way things normally go.  Actions were immediately taken to recticy the situation.  While apologetic, the surgeon's office has not been so responsive.  I am hoping that the surgeon's skill more than makes up for the lack of patient support.  While he has been let down by his support staff, ultimately the responsibility resides with the physician and reflects on his practice and reputation.

Stay tuned!

Namaste
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment