Saturday, May 3, 2014

Day 5

May 3, 2014

Today has been another day of reflection and learning.  I have no idea if anyone is or will be reading this daily catharsis/blog but perhaps some of the things I have learned will help them prepare or recover from a similar surgery.

Today I found solutions to 2 problems.  The first one was that my sport sock wouldn't stay on my foot.  I think it was because my foot was a bit too swollen.  My  husband suggested I use one of his sport socks. Problem solved.  It has stayed on all day and toes are toasty warm.  The other problem  was not feeling comfortable or steady walking since I still feel my surgical leg is longer than my other leg.  Doing my exercises and walking was quite bothersome.  I decided to put a soft soled flat shoe on my "good" foot.  I found it much more comfprtable and the ability to swing my foot through when I walk is much more comfortable. I am sure as the hip heals and the swelling subsides I will be fine with no shoe.  I will try to remember this as I continue my rehab.

I can't imagine how people without good upper bpdy strength would fare in recovery.  I am in pretty good shape and I am feeling it in chest and upper arms.  the downside of this might be that I am relying on that rather then putting full weight on my leg.

I keep relearning the importance of keeping on time with pain management.   I slept a bit late today and was over an hour late taking it.  I was really hurting.  I have been careful to take my pills every 4 hours. It doesn't pay to tough it out.

Someone from home therapy came today to get the paperwork filled out so I can start PT on Monday.   That will be interesting.

One thing I wish I had known before the surgery was the amount of ice I would need to have to maintain the ice machine therapy.  I would certainly have made sure there was room for at least 2 bags or more at a time in my freezer.  I am going through 4 bags a day.  I am fortunate that my husband can run to the store to get more when it is needed.  We will see how this works during the week.

When all of this is over I think I will compile a list of things I wish I knew before the ordeal started. I would benefitted greatly by it.  If anyone reading this sees something I missed, please let me know.

One final thought is an appreciation for issues of pain and suffering.  When I reflect on the impact of the accident the surgery and time lost from work because of it and how it has impacted my family I can umderstand the large numbers associated with settlements.  My husband actually has had a harder time than I do in some ways.  I think he feels my pain more than I do and doesn't know what to do to help me.  I could never understand why family members would also get settlement compensation for their pain and suffering and even lost services.  Now I do.

Stay tuned!

Namaste
Donna







No comments:

Post a Comment