Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Day 14 - Support on the Journey

May 13, 2014

Today was another day of getting use to the "new" me.  I am waking up feeling better than the day before and sleeping better as well.  I am still in a recliner chair but hope to transition to my bed in a day or two.  I am still taking pain meds but not as frequently and I am beginning to trust my hip a bit more to bear weight.  Walking every hour is helpful and I think it is what I need most now.  Distance is not the essence.  Frequency is.  Setting a timer to remind me would be a good idea.  Tomorrow I tackle using a cane.  I need to get mobile as summer sessions start next week.

I have been thinking about how much a support group would have helped, or would help me in this process.  I am not sure if there any locally or online.  I will have to research this.  I am thinking of calling the hospital where I had my surgery to see if they know of any.  They had a very helpful 2 hours class that I took to prepare me for my surgery.  This might be a logical extension.  I would be glad to volunteer my time and experience with others and I am sure there are more people out there who would do the same.  Either by phone or online, either would have helped me.  I would be most interested in working with others who are in fairly good shape before the surgery.  I am not sure what I might have to offer to someone who comes in with different issues, but who knows...maybe they are all similar.  I know that it would be only for support and encouragement.  I am sure there are liability issues.  Leave the medical side to the experts.

Logical goals are another part of recovery.  It has taken me some time to get used to the idea that even though I was in shape before this surgery, my progress has not been as expected or hoped for.  I am sure there are/were some ego issues involved.  Comparing myself to others does me no good.  My PT therapist has been quite helpful in setting short term goals.  I only see her every other day now but it gives me something to work for.  I need(ed) to set long term and short term goals to help keep me positive and on track.  Writing them down is most helpful.

I need to keep in mind this is an unknown journey for me.  If I look at it as exploring the Amazon, it helps give me perspective.  Every day and every turn reveals something else to me.  I need to keep my eyes and mind open to discover what there is to be learned along the way.

Stay tuned!

Namaste
Donna

 


No comments:

Post a Comment