Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Day 2

April 30, 2014

Had an interesting night.  Was in guite a bit of pain but noticed when I was standing or moving on the way to the bathroom and back,  I felt better.  Went for a walk down the hall and when I returned to the room I was feeling a bit better.  As the night wore on it got better and better. It went from a pain level of 3 or 4 to barely  1.  Right now it is maybe a 2.  Just moving for the day and could use some medication and a walk for sure. That is the magic combination.

I am waiting to call room service. Yes I said room service. You order your meals!  This place is like a hotel but even better. They actually wait on you.   Amazingly quiet as well. After breakfast I go for PT. Have it 2 times a day.

Went to PT. Ouch. Didn't help that I was in real pain. Learning some interesting things.  I guess they numb the area of the surgery.  When it wears off even in spite of the pain medications you are on you pain level spikes.  That would explain some of my setback yesterday.  As the morning wore on and I stayed in bed my pain got worse.  I was almost a 6.  I got some extra medication and a shot for clotting. Guess my blood work came back and indicated I needed it.  Kinda scary.  Guess it is not uncommon.   I will be taking asprin when I go home.

So...PT was challenging.  I can barely lift my knee or foot.  Ouch!  Spent time doing simple movements to get back to walking.  Was only there a short time and go back later this afternoon.  I have walked a bit in the room. The more I move the less pain I have.  I think lying around just makes everything tighten up.  It is especially true since I can only lay on my back.  I am repeatedly reminded about not bending more than 90 degrees, stepping to the side or backwards, turning toes in or out, and crossing my legs.  I am sure I am forgetting something.  It was pointed out to me that the pain keeps me mindful of these things. Once the pain wears off they are still in place.  That is when trouble can ocur. These restrictions are for weeks if not months.  I need to remember that.

I found it interesting that I kept being offered Klonapin.  I kept telling them I was not anxious.   I was finally told it is also a muscle relaxant.. never knew that but does make sense.  I have noticed that the few times I have taken it but I thought it was my imagination.

Learned another interesting fact today.  They tape your eyelids shut during surgery. I guess it is so your eyes do not dry out while you are under.  Never really thought about that before. I wondered why I had sore red patches under my eyes.  Guess the tape is not my friend.

Finally following the advice and keeping ahead of the pain curve.  When I start to notice it I say something.  Guess they knew what they are talking about.  Have had some really nice conversations with the people that work here. This facility is so nice.  Large clean private rooms.  You call ahead to order meals from a very well thought out menu and it is delivered to your room within an hour. I have to say the food is quite good.  I am still amazed how quiet it is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment