Tuesday, April 8, 2014

21 Days Out

April 8, 2014

The intent of this blog is to chronicle my recovery and rehab from a full hip replacement using yoga and to seek the perspectives of others who have gone through or are going through a similar situation. Bear with me...this is my first attempt at a blog...so here I go...

Well...as of yesterday I was freaking out!  Three weeks from today I will be in surgery getting my right hip replaced due to a car accident that happened 3 years ago.  Attempts to fix it arthroscopically didn't work and it has gotten worse since then, however, I have continued in my yoga practice getting stronger and more flexible by the week.   That is until now...pretty soon I will be out of the studio for weeks and loosing all I have gained.  I am very frustrated already.

I have talked to a number of people who have had, or who know someone who had, a hip replacement.  Many of them are former athletic types, dancers, and yogis who have said they do not regret having it done.  They are now pain free and are back to their usual practice...with the exception of running.  The only regrets I hear is the that they wish they had not waited so long.

Yesterday I was very apprehensive about going through with the procedure and was not sure I was with the right doctor.  But as they say "give it a day".  Today at yoga I met someone who is a surgical nurse in the hospital at which I am having my surgery.  She is very familiar with the doctor and assured me I was in good hands.  This just reinforces for me that there are no coincidences.  Everything happens for a reason and everything around you is a message to which attention needs to be paid.

I spent a hour+ this afternoon at the hospital getting pre-admission work done.  I was surprised by the number test the doctor ordered.  I have had surgeries before but none that included blood work,  EKG, X-ray, physical examination, and interview.  Perhaps it is standard for this kind of surgery but the nurse said this doctor was very particular about his protocol.  More good news as far as I am concerned.

I have a wonderful yogi instructor who has years of experience in hospitals, pharmaceuticals, and research to help guide me in my recovery.  I have looked online for information regarding yoga and hip replacement and have great success in locating some helpful pieces.  I am, however, looking for a-day-by-day play-by-play account of recovery and rehab.  Since I have not been able to locate one I have decided to start my own and I am hoping others in the yoga community will be willing to join me on my journey.

So now...at least for today...I am a bit more comfortable about the decision to have the hip replacement. 

Any thoughts, recommendations, experiences, or suggestions from you yogis out there that you would care to share would be most appreciated.

Stay tuned!

Namaste
Donna

2 comments:

  1. Go Donna! We are all here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your support in so many ways for so many projects!!

    ReplyDelete